What is Naturopathic Medicine?
Naturopathic Medicine is a distinct system of primary healthcare that looks beyond symptoms to the root cause of disease. It blends effective centuries-old natural therapies with modern scientific advancements, toward a safe and holistic approach to health and wellness. Naturopathic Medicine offers a range of care, from prenatal to geriatrics.
Many terms such as alternative medicine, integrative medicine, holistic medicine, complementary medicine, mind/body healing, and naturopathy have been used interchangeably. In essence, what defines naturopathic medicine is its principles and philosophies:
- Identify and remove the underlying causes(s) of disease
- Recognize the healing power of nature
- Utilize safe and effective natural treatments
- Treat the whole person: mind/body/spirit, and not the symptoms of disease
- Educate patients: doctor as teacher
- Emphasize prevention